Energy saving tips
Save the environment, save your money
Goff Heating and Air Conditioning invites you to become responsible global citizens and do your share in saving our fragile environment. It’s not necessary for you to embark on large-scale changes to live the green life. In fact, making the right choices for HVAC units and using them wisely can already be a big step towards protect the planet.
The following simple tips will put you on the path towards saving the earth and saving on your energy bills as well:
- Lower your thermostat while you sleep or while you are away from home. For every degree that you lower the settings, you can save as much as 3% on your heating bill. About 3-5% more energy is consumed for every degree that your furnace is set above 68 degrees, and for every degree that your air conditioner is set to lower than 78 degrees.
- Weatherstrip your doorways for better insulation. At night, close the drapes and windows to keep the heat inside your house. You may even add door sweeps beneath your doors for added insulation.
- You can keep your heating costs at a minimum if you adding better insulation to your attic. Don’t forget that heat can escape through this part of your house, so it has to be properly insulated to keep the upper floors comfortably warm. Check the US Department of Energy’s website for the most appropriate insulation level in your area.
- During cold weather, seal all the openings to your cooling units to keep the heat inside your premises. You can also wrap the heating and cooling ducts or use mastic sealant for better insulation.
Be a wise energy consumer
- Find out if it’s time to replace your old HVAC system. And when you do need a replacement, purchase only energy-efficient models that have the ENERGY-STAR label to save on energy bills. A faulty HVAC system does not just use up too much energy, it also doesn’t perform at its peak. Thus you are forced to pay more for less comfort.
- Choose an indoor air quality product that does not emit ozone. The earth is enveloped in a natural ozone layer that helps block the harmful ultraviolet rays from the sun. However, contact with ground-level ozone is a health hazard that can cause chest pains and shortness of breath. Make sure that the electrical air cleaner or portable ionic air purifier you buy is ozone-free.
- Install paddle fans or other air re-circulating devices to encourage better air movement and enhance the cooling ability of your air conditioning unit. Room temperatures near the ceiling can be 30-40 degrees higher than floor level. Remember that cold air sinks and hot air rises, and your air conditioner can perform better if the air in your room circulates more freely.
CONTACT GOFF HEATING AND AIR CONDITIONING TODAY
Whatever the season, we want you to be comfortable and secure in your home or office. Give us a call today and let Goff Services be your major partner in energy conservation!